Sunday, January 10, 2010

Endgame



Here's where things stand now: the mitts of my own crude design are about 90% finished. The mitts of another's crude design are about 75% finished. Cy's sweater is about a quarter finished. (Photo above.) It's the "Dangerous Dinosaur" pattern from Lucinda Guy's Handknits for Kids.

What a super book! Lucinda Guy, a Briton, is one of the most talented children's knitwear designers ever. Her partner/illustrator, François Hall, exactly captures the spirit of Lucinda's designs in his whimsical sketches of the sweaters, blankets, toys, and her other wonderful creations. For more on this great team, see the article about them in Rowan Knitting and Crochet Magazine (Spring/Summer 2006).



The sweater, size 4, is a delight to knit. I'm making it in a variety of stash yarns, including an Artyarn ombre that's decidedly Crayola-like, and finding it much more compelling than my other projects. Cy's birthday (his second) is February 26th, so I know what my deadline is. Progress reports forthcoming.

And, while I'm on the topic of whimsical knitting, have a look at this article in the latest Resurgence Magazine, on "Extreme Knitting":


I've always been interested in knitting as a purely visual art form. Last September in Vancouver I saw a fence surrounding a community garden that had been covered in hand-knitted fabric of various colors. It was, unlike the Extreme Knitting profiled above, non-representational. If you're aware of any non-clothing knitted art examples in the New England area, please let me know for a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment