Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Unseasonal thoughts on a winter's day; an Ipad sweater pattern, and a contest

Snowing yet again, and predicted to continue another eighteen hours. Unbidden come the inevitably adverb-laden, highly dolorous thoughts.

His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.*


(For a distracting contest to enter, scroll down to the bottom!)


At least I have the satisfaction of having finished my Ipad's sweater.





To conclude the pattern, I seamed a 2" gusset on either side, attached a large button, and knitted a seven-foot-long I-cord. You'll notice that the top part of the I-pad sweater, just inside the triangle of the flap, is grey and brown. That's because I ran out of Noro Kureyon and substituted a small amount of Noro Silk Garden from my stash. The Silk Garden also provided the I-cord, which, unlike the pouch, I didn't felt. Though I didn't expect this to happen, the weight and colors of the two yarns mesh quite well.

On my roster now, to finish Cy's dinosaur sweater, which I started (gulp) more than a year ago. (Why this has taken so long is one of life's banal mysteries.) But after that, I've promised myself another treat, to knit yet another design by Deborah Newton, from her latest book, Warm Weather Knits.  Generally I don't enjoy knitting yarns that aren't wool or animal fiber, but these patterns are nearly irresistible, plus they remind me that spring cannot be far behind. The hardest thing will be deciding which to do first.



And while I'm singing the praises of Deborah's talent, let me point out that one of her hat designs is on the cover of the latest issue of Vogue Knitting.




So, to move from the sublime to the silly, if anyone can identify the opening quote of this post, I'll send you my personal copy of Sweaters from New England Sheep Farms by Candace Eisner Strick. Just email me with your answer! Contest closes January 31st.

2 comments:

  1. Love the IPad sweater. Bet it would be a popular item on Etsy.

    The quote is from Joyce's "The Dead".

    I'm a New Englander but lucky that here in Burlington, VT I've been spared most of the snow that everyone else is getting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Joansie--
    You won the book by correctly identifying the quote. Please email me your address (click the link to "view my complete profile" and you'll find the email button; this is best for privacy), and I'll mail it to you. And thank you very much for participating in the contest.

    ReplyDelete