Thursday, June 17, 2010

In the mood...

Remember mood rings?  They were all the rage in the 1970s.  The mood "jewels" are heat-sensitive--thermochromic--like the thermometer tapes for taking someone's temperature.  They react to the wearer's body temperature with a display of color. According to mood ring lore, the jewel's colors have specific meanings:




MOOD RING COLOR MEANING CHART












BLACK
TENSE,
NERVOUS,
HASSRASSED,
OVER WORKED








GRAY
ANXIETIES,
NERVOUS,
STRAINED,
 








AMBER
NERVOUS,
EMOTIONS
MIXED,
UNSETTLED,
COOL









GREEN
AVERAGE
READING,
ACTIVE,
NOT UNDER
GREAT STRESS








BLUE-GREEN
INNER
EMOTIONS
CHARGED,
SOMEWHAT
RELAXED









BLUE
RELAXED,
AT EASE,
CALM,
LOVABLE








DR BLUE
VERY HAPPY,
LOVE,
PASSION,
ROMANCE













WHITE
FRUSTRATED
CONFUSSED,
BORED








BRONZE
JITTERS,
ANTICIPATION,
RESTLESS
THOUGHTS








PINKISH
FEAR,
UNCERTAIN,
UNANSWERED
QUESTIONS








YELLOW
IMAGINATIVE,
WONDERING
THOUGHTS,
OK FEELING








ORANGE
STIMULATING
IDEAS,
DARING
WANTS








RED
EXCITED,
ENERGIZED,
ADVENTUROUS,
READY TO GO








PURPLE
SENSUAL,
CLARITY,
PURPOSE
IS KNOWN

(For more on this, see http://www.moodjewelry.com/chart.html)

When I was getting divorced from husband #1, I thought of my wedding ring as a mood ring.  It didn't turn colors, but it sent a message nonetheless. When I was in an angry mood (often), I removed it.  But I digress....

Or maybe not.  It occurred to me that sweaters I've knitted for myself over the years are like mood rings, but more powerful. For me they express, enhance, or even change moods. At the moment I'm making myself a very simple sweater, the "Chic Bolero" from Classic Elite's Classic Elite Knits:  100 Gorgeous Designs for Every Occasion (Taunton Press, 2008). I'm doing it, as is my habit, in a mélange of stash wools organized around orange and pink.






So there you have it, or at least a peek at the sleeve.  Pray tell, have you ever knitted yourself a mood-enhancing or mood-altering or mood-creating garment?

No comments:

Post a Comment